Silverfish are brown-grey to a grey-silver colour and are a carrot shape when fully grown. They have long antennae and 3 bristly tails. Growing up to 20mm in length they are mainly harmless to humans but are capable of causing a lot of damage to books, papers, wall paper, packets of dry food and other items high in sugars and starches.
A few Silverfish facts…
- Silverfish are one of our most ancient insects. They’ve been crawling around for more than 400 million years, predating the dinosaurs by 100 million years.
- Silverfish are most active at night.
- Their name is derived from fish-like movements and silvery scales.
- Silverfish like damp humid areas, such as bathrooms, but may also be an indication of damp problems.
- In the natural environment Silverfish are important decomposers. However, in our homes these insects gain proteins, sugars and starches from sources such as newspapers, books, wallpaper and fabrics.
- When a female Silverfish reaches her adult stage, she can produce between 2 and 20 eggs every day for up to eight years, in areas such as crevices, cracks and under carpeting or rugs. That’s nearly 60,000 eggs over her lifetime!
How to control Silverfish?
Firstly attempt to correct any persistent dampness (through sealing walls, maintaining pipework, heating the property, dehumidifier etc)
Call a pest controller, who will safely spray areas where you have had sightings with an insecticide intended for the control of Silverfish.
Landguard Pest Control will
- Prevent contamination and disease.
- Protect investments.
- Help you meet your legal requirements.
- Safeguard your reputation.
- Provide child and pet friendly solutions
- Book an appointment time to suit you
- Employ fully insured and qualified technicians
- Utilize professional products
Commercial Pest Control
Our fully trained technicians will work independently and discreetly, saving you time, and giving you complete peace of mind that things are getting taken care of.