Cockroaches are hardy insects but unlike aphids and other true bugs they are without the special adaptions like sucking mouth-parts. However, they do have chewing mouth-parts and are the oldest of the living insects today, dating back to at least as far as the carboniferous period – 320 million years ago.
How do Cockroaches get in to your property?
- Arriving in food and packaging from infested businesses.
- From neighbouring properties, through holes in walls, floors and around water and waste pipes.
- Second hand goods – especially electrical goods – from an infested property.
- Some Cockroach problems can go unnoticed for many months, they are mainly nocturnal and have egg capsules that are the size of a small bean, which can contain up to 40 eggs and when hatched the nymphs are smaller than an ant.
How do you spot a Cockroach infestation?
- Faeces – dependent on what the diet of the cockroach is there could be solid small dropping less than 1 mm in size or small dark smear marks.
- An unpleasant almond smell – really noticeable with larger infestations. (An aggregation pheromone, which is a chemical that attracts others).
- Egg capsules and fragments of shed skin – they shed their exoskeleton as they grow.
What do you do if you have Cockroaches in your property?
You ideally need to get on top of the problem ASAP. Due to their lifestyles Cockroaches spread diseases and bacteria on to food and surfaces such as – Salmonella, Ecoli, Listeriosis and Streptococcus.
In businesses this can have a serious impact on customers and employees, for food handling and processing premises this is a breach of safety laws.
Enlist the help of a professional pest controller. We will be able to advise you on the best course of action. For a FREE no obligation quote, please call the team today.
You can help prevent diseases being spread by cockroaches…
- Cleaning hands properly, when handling food, after using the bathroom etc
- Having good thorough cleaning practices, removing grease from behind ovens etc
- Removing all possible food sources, such as dropped food etc
- Seal all cracks and gaps around your property, reducing entry points for the cockroaches.
The best way to prevent and control the possibility of cockroaches is to enlist the help of a professional pest controller. We will be able to advise you on the best course of action to prevent and exterminate cockroaches, reducing the risk of them damaging your family, business, reputation, employees and customers health.
For a FREE no obligation quote, please call the team today.
Landguard Ltd will –
- Prevent contamination and disease.
- Protect investments.
- Help you meet your legal requirements.
- Safeguard your reputation.
- Provide child and pet friendly solutions
- Book an appointment time to suit you
- Employ fully insured and qualified technicians
- Utilize professional products