For as long as mankind has lived in urban conurbations we have attracted opportunist Gulls, Pigeons, Starlings and Sparrows to name a few. And through the creation of artificial roosting/nesting sites, with easy access to food sources we have created a fantastic artificial environment for many bird species to thrive.
When the Avian pest species finds a good place to take up residence, colonies will be established in surprisingly quick order.
All Landguard Pest Controls methods of bird control comply with legislation set out in the Wildlife & Countryside Act (1981)
So whats so bad about a few birds around the place!?
- Firstly, birds have a wide range of diseases transferable to us through close contact or exposure to droppings including listeria, ornithosis and E-coli.
- Birds will defecate heavily over nesting sites and roosts. The corrosive nature of the droppings risks historic architecture, damaging metalwork, stone and brickwork.
- Droppings from the birds on pavements and fire escapes will become a dangerous slip hazard.
- Nesting birds regularly block gutters and chimneys with nesting materials leading to potential overflows, leaking and costly repair bills.
- Shop fronts and monuments soiled with bird guano project a negative image to members of the public.
- Parasitic outbreaks including mites, fleas and ticks are often linked to bird activity in and around homes and businesses.
- Under the Food Safety Act 1990 fines may be imposed for non compliance with Health & Safety legislation.
Prevention and Control Strategies
Through a combination of professional consultation around on-site hygiene/housekeeping and the use of a range of proofing techniques to limit access to buildings, resident populations can be dispersed without the need for more lethal control measures.
Our proofing systems utilize barriers, spikes, nets and wire either singly or in combination to great effect. Recent innovations in ‘active systems’ including shock strips, sonic scarers and optical gels have given us further deterrents at our disposal to discourage birds looking to land or roost on our customers buildings.
Occasionally, where particularly heavy infestations of avian pest species occur we may have to employ bird management techniques including shooting or trapping until the situation is under control. Proofing and prevention however is always our primary concern.
Landguard Pest Control will
- Carry out a assessment including health and safety and potential impact on the environment and wildlife.
- Prevent contamination and disease.
- Protect investments.
- Help you meet your legal requirements.
- Safeguard your reputation.
- Provide child and pet friendly solutions
- Book an appointment time to suit you
- Employ fully insured and qualified technicians
- Utilize professional products
DIY Bird Proofing
While we’re always happy to carry out bird proofing works for our customers, the more enthusiastic of you home improvers out there may feel like doing your own! To fulfil your needs LANDGUARD has partnered up with DEFENDER® Bird Spikes to bring you the best of British bird proofing.